Monday, July 20, 2015

The teacher that was willing to be taught by her student


When I first started working in the classroom as a substitute teacher, I was only 4 years older than some of the kids I was "teaching". I developed strong bonds with just about all of them but no one really knew that the infamous "Miss G" was a name given to me by one of the students who was just fed up with not being able to pronounce my maiden name at the time "Grodger". Today was 'Parents day' at camp for the boys and of course Isaiah (or his Godfather) failed to tell me until I pulled up to drop them off. So of course you know I stayed and to my greatest surprise I ran into the young man who gave me that name. He told me that he had been incarcerated for some time, came home, went back and woke up one day & said he had to do better. He enrolled in school & is now working on a trade. I told him I had searched high and low for him & couldn't wait for day that I saw him to thank him for this name that stuck with me for so long. He made a comment to me about some regrets that he had & I decided to share my story with him. He stood in amazement when he heard that I almost didn't make it and thanked me for sharing my story & told me he promised not to give up. He asked me why I left the classroom & if I didn't know what an impact I made on all of them & I shared with him why I left. I shared my future goals & dreams for the youth of my community & avenues that I wanted to take. My student transformed into my teacher & told me what this generation really needed & how I had to draw them. I listened to him, with tears in my eyes, encouraged by his growth & his ability to still make me laugh. I took notes and heed to his suggestions.  
So I ask you today, how many of the "students" in your life have you turned away because you were too good of a "teacher" in your role!? And what if God sent them with the answer that you needed to get from where you are to where you need to be? 
I want to thank you Adrece......in my eyes you'll always be one of my babies but today you also became my teacher!
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment